A Blog Renaissance
You must learn a new way to think
before you can master a new way to be.
– Marianne Williamson
By definition, the word “renaissance” means a renewed interest in something; a rebirth or reawakening. That is exactly how I feel about writing. Writers out there, I feel you if you ever get writer’s block.
This blog used to be about travelling the world, seeing all the things, experiencing all the feels and learning about life along the way. It was a proper millenial early twenties life experiment. And then I decided to come home and I had no idea what to tell you. I didn’t fail at life (which is what I always thought returning home meant, like I had lost some internal bet). To be perfectly honest with you, and don’t hate on me for this, it got a little old. That glorious feeling of growth and excitement stopped getting me high me like it once did. I didn’t crave the adventure anymore. Something else was missing now.
I wanted to pursue more of what I had started; self discovery, personal growth, reflection and insight, whatever you want to call it. That was my new drug of choice. And I wanted to make a lifestyle out of it. I craved this sense of being the people’s hero – saving people from themselves; making the world a better place by making people better at being better. The younger, hipper version of Tony Robbins. LOL! How naive I was.
Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry out there in the world thinks that because they’ve learned some stuff or thinks that they have “mastered” their life will call themselves a coach. A life coach, fitness coach, whatever coach and Bob’s your uncle, you’re a coach!
Buddy, it doesn’t work like that. And I was that nobhead that thought that. I went home and thought, “let me just get a certificate behind my name and I’ll be sorted.” Well, didn’t my arrogant ass fall flat on its arse. I thought that travelling for a few years, living away from my family and a few months of journaling and reflection had me made, son! Boy, was I wrong. You see, the first thing about transformation is that it’s never ending. There are millions of insights to learn and understand, and just as many things to unlearn. It’s been just over a year since beginning my journey officially and it’s still ridiculously hard but so unbelievably rewarding.
So I finally have something to say again. I was beating myself up for not writing to the 50 people that read my blog (hi MOM 🙂 ) but if there was no value in what I had to say, I would rather not say it. I’m sure there’s a saying about listening to the quiet man who has something to say than the one who talks without really saying anything, but I can’t remember exactly how it goes, so moving on.
As I was saying, so I haven’t written in a while. But here I am and I have so much to tell you:
- Coming home and adulting is hard. I still don’t know how to do my taxes and I have to pay for medical aid, amongst other things that I never had to worry about before. I’m slowly learning though.
- Becoming a certified life coach means you have to work on yourself every day and if you can’t help yourself, how the hell can you help others? So I’ve really had to have a real and sincere conversation with myself and be like, “Aurelia, I know you’re a lazy git sometimes but you’ve got to pull up your socks. No more excuses.”
- By the end of the year, I’ll be an internationally certified consciousness coach! Watch this space, peeps! I have so many ideas that I want to share with you. Let’s start an awareness revolution!
- I was mugged a few weeks ago and the physical ramifications of that experience are that I have to actively work against my anxiety to trust people who walk towards me. Trust, a huge thing in South Africa, especially Joburg where crime is rife. But I refuse to buy into that victimhood and I choose, daily, to trust.
- My hair currently violently pink 🙂 I’ll load a picture or two to social media. And that has been an interesting experiment into how my ego reacts to attention. More on that later.
Well, that’s it for now. Please comment if there’s anything you’d like me to write about or bring an awareness forward. I’d really like to create a space where we can broaden our minds and share ideas; the OG purpose of blogging 🙂
All my love,